Thursday, April 13, 2017

Pasta bridges..loading the bridge

Q: Do the kids load the bridge themselves? 
A: Yes. We will measure the bridge to ensure that it meets height and width requirements and then we will ask them to place the beaker on the highest part of the bridge and to begin loading when they are ready. They can load however they are comfortable - multiple pennies at once or one-at-a-time. I suggest one-at-a-time but we won't tell the kids how to do the loading. I also highly suggest having them place the beaker and remove it prior to time being called to ensure that it won't slip off the bridge. Do this in practice as well.

Q: Once the beaker is placed, can they readjust it as they load?
A: No. Once the beaker is in place and loading has begun, they cannot touch the beaker to steady or readjust.

Q: Can you please tell me where I can find the type of beaker that will be used on the day?  We are currently using a solo cup, and I would like to replicate as much as I can the actual event.
A: My best advice ... make friends with the Potions coach and ask to borrow the one WESO has provided in their kit. The beaker itself is a plastic 250 ml one which can be purchased from any science supply shop or amazon.com. https://www.amazon.com/Beaker-Polypropylene-250-beakers-package/dp/B01M1XSY1Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1492121667&sr=8-2&keywords=250+ml+plastic+beaker